Wandering around the hills of Zala

Lower town church and monastery

The Parish Church of St. Joseph

The Lower Town Church, officially named after its patron, is the parish church of St. Joseph, the most valuable monument in the city. It was built between 1702 and 1414 by the monks of the Franciscan Order on the plot donated by the castle commander, Count György Kristóf Berge, using the stones of the once famous castle. Due to the lack of money, the truncated tower was completed by 1816, in which Károly Hitzelberger built a watch in 1823. The interior of the church contrasts sharply with the puritanical exterior of the building. Due to its decoration, it is rightly considered one of the most valuable monuments in the city. The numerous altars (main altar, St. Didid, St. Francis of Assisi, St. Anne, Holy Virgin of Loretto, Holy Cross, St. Erasmus and St. Roch, Immaculate Conception), richly gilded wooden sculptures, woven stucco ornaments covering the vaults the one main nave and one auxiliary nave. On the east side to the left of the main entrance, four side chapels open, while the west side is divided only by the huge wall pillars of the vault.

A notable monument of the church is the holy water tank from 1673 with inscriptions carved from the turban-shaped tombstone of Pasha Mustafa. The lively altar is decorated with an altarpiece of St. Joseph, the patron saint of the church, painted by Caspar Franz Sambach in 1747, which is one of the most valuable Baroque paintings in Hungary. Above the altarpiece is the family coat of arms of the donor, Count Lajos Batthyány, with a life-size statue of St. Stephen and St. Imre on both sides. The most ornate ensemble of the church, the richly gilded late baroque pulpit, was also commissioned by Count Lajos Batthyány. The central relief on the parapet depicts the recapture of Kanizsa Castle from the Turks in 1690. On both sides are the altars of St. Francis and St. Anne of Assisi. On either side of the triumphal arch of the church is a life-size, artistically valuable wooden statue: on the left St. John of Nepomuk, one of the most beloved baroque saints, the secret of confession, the dying and in trouble in the water, on the other St. Florian, the patron saint of firefighters. The latter is the most valuable statue of the church and one of the most beautiful baroque wooden statues in Hungary. It has a rich Rococo taste on the walls, ceiling and dome of the sanctuary stucco reliefs and frescoes with figural and plant ornaments, and ornate side altars along the walls. According to their inscriptions, the stucco-framed frescoes are the work of Sándor Éber and Anna from 1926-27.

The whole of the monastery is vaulted on both levels, its division has not fundamentally changed over time, only the continuity of the ground floor part of the circular corridor has been broken with a few later rooms. For the most part, even with most of the door fittings, it largely retains its former condition. There was also a pharmacy in the monastery until the middle of the 19th century, where the poor received free medicine. The Franciscans lived in the convent until 1951, which after that he housed the Miklós Zrínyi Boys' College, and until 2001 the Kanizsa City Library. Today it is in Franciscan ownership again.



On the shores of the picturesque Lake Gébárti, next to the thermal bath, there is a water-amusement park offering unparalleled experiences and unforgettable entertainment. The facility is one of the largest aqua parks in Central Europe and the only one in Transdanubia. More than 6,000 m2 of water awaits our guests in an area of 7.5 hectares. Of the 18 different slides, each 54-120 meters long, 13 were designed for adults and 5 for children. The slides start from a 12-meter-high hill. A three-storey lookout tower has also been built on this hill, offering visitors a wonderful panorama of the city and the hilly landscape of Zala. Wave pool, baby and children's pool, 3 so-called underwater massages. Attractions include a jacuzzi, a plunge pool, a 1,500 m2 beach pool and a 300-meter slow-moving river. The water paradise, which seats 4,500 people, has 8.8 m2 of green space for a bathing area, guaranteeing a comfortable rest for everyone. The imposing main building houses modern, cultured changing rooms, service units, shops and a tourist information point. Quality catering is provided by restaurants and buffets.


Bázakerettye is also called the cradle of the Hungarian oil industry, the first successful drilling was carried out here in 1937 and the first oil well was established here. There is a monument in its place. A special part of the village was formed when the houses for the accommodation of oil specialists from America were completed, which are still surrounded by a wooded, wooded green area. One of the attractions of Bázakerettye is the Beach and Thermal Bath, which is currently open on a seasonal basis. The village also has a tourist hostel, a restaurant and a bakery, where fresh pastries are available in the evenings. The beautiful natural environment provides an excellent opportunity to relax. Near the settlement there is the Budafai Arboretum and two holiday lakes where you can go swimming and fishing. Possible

The thermal baths of Bázakerettye are open seasonally. The thermal bath has two hot-water adventure pools, a whirlpool and a cold-water pool. Capacity of the thermal bath: 2000 people Discounts. The pools are cleaned and bacteriologically tested weekly by the operator. The predecessor of the current cold-water pool was built in 1938 at the same time as the Déryné House of Culture and was used as a beach by the locals from the beginning. The renovation of the cold pool started in 1994 and was opened to the public in late spring 1996. The swimming pool is 33 x 15 metres, with a stretched water mirror and a water rotator. The shallowest depth is 1.63 metres, which continuously deepens to 2.05 metres. The construction of the thermal pools started at the end of 2000 and they were inaugurated at the end of May 2002: - circular 58 m3 seating pool, temperature 36 degrees - heart-shaped 104 m3 adventure pool, temperature 30 degrees - whirlpool, temperature 36 degrees In 2001, state-of-the-art technology was installed in the pools' machine room. The temperature of the pools and the method of disinfection allow safe and carefree bathing for all age groups, from zero to 100 years.

Budafa Arboretum

The Budafai Arboretum is located about 2 km from the base frame, among the intimate Zala hills, in the beautiful Göcseji beech landscape. The Zalai Forest and Wood Processing Farm established the 46-hectare arboretum in 1959. The hunting lodge, built in 1926 and owned by the Zichy family, and the park around it form the core of the Arboretum, which boasts more than 200 species of mostly protected plants, pines, deciduous and shrub species. The tree species come from North America, Asia and Northern Europe. Perhaps the most spectacular are the jegenye, mammoth and swamp pines, as well as the azaleas, which flower in early May. Wandering along the shady footpaths, visitors will find a small spring-fed valley-fed lake with a gorge. Well-appointed rest areas provide an opportunity for a woodland snack or a bacon barbecue. In addition to its great landscape aesthetic value and attractions, the Buda Forest Arboretum also serves forestry research and educational purposes. Developmental studies are carried out to select the most suitable pine species for planting in Zala.

Forest railway

The narrow-gauge railway line winds through attractive Zala landscapes, hills and forests, and has recently become one of the region's most important tourist attractions. The small train operated by the Forest Railway of Zalaerdő Ltd. is very popular with hikers.The construction of the Zala Forest Railway began more than a hundred years ago, purely for economic reasons. The railway was built 100 years ago for economic reasons. This is why the first narrow-gauge railway was built at the end of the 19th century. Initially, two independent lines were used: the Lenti-Zajda and the Csömödér-Kistolmács branch lines. To enable the railway to operate economically for passenger and timber transport, a connecting branch line had to be built. The Lenti-Szilvágyi and Csömödér-Kistolmács lines were connected at the end of 1999 and beginning of 2000. Today the total length of the forest railway is 109 km. From 2004 onwards, the railway will also feature a number of new features. Every second Sunday, a nostalgia train runs on the section between Lenti and Kistolmács. On special request, the steamer Ábel, imported from Transylvania to Zala in 2000, is also available.

At the end of the terminus, there is an exhibition on forestry, sawmilling and railway history. The first room is dedicated to the past and present of the Zala forest railway. In addition to the locomotives, the fleet consists of six closed and four open wagons, and the route of the forest railway covers the Kerka valley and the beech region of Zala county, including the Vétyem forest. During the train excursion, you can not only see a buzzard, but also a black stork. A rare bird in the area is the harrier, which hides in the grass and is usually only heard by its sound, which is very distinctive and instantly recognisable. And of the forest birds, the songbirds and woodpeckers